Because debate only has 2 vowels.

Thursday, February 21, 2008

Michelle Obama and the Evil of Sound Bites

I have a lot to say about this whole nutty media freak-out over Michelle Obama saying ". . .for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of this country. . ." People are condemning her after reading this sound bite like she's a big America-hater, and Bill O'Reilly couldn't help himself from uttering the term "lynching party."

But I will refrain. I'd just like to post her actual words before the statement:



Now for the actual words (and note the blipped out 'really' just for the record, if that really matters):



Now, please watch the beginning of this statement in an interview about what she said. If you read the soundbite they've been printing today, she sounds defensive and lame. But watch this and see 0% defensiveness. Listen to her words that have no pretense, unlike Some People.



If you want to quote this, I transcribed it since I couldn't find the text anywhere at all.

Reporter: Is there any clarification that needs to be made?

Michelle: I think the clarification has been made. What I was clearly talking about was that I'm proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process. I mean, everyone has said what I've said, which is "We haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching the debates." For the first time in my lifetime, I'm seeing people rolling up their sleeves in a way that I haven't seen [before] and really trying to figure this out. And that's the source of pride that I was talking about.

Reporter: So then you hear Senator Clinton and Mrs. McCain saying, "Well, I've always been proud of America." Have you always been proud of America?

Michelle: Absolutely. I mean, you don't...

Reporter [FYI: he's white]: When we abandon the people in Rwanda? When there's disparity between the rich and poor is growing...

Michelle: Well let me tell you--I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the possibilities of America. And I've talked about that. My father was a city worker. I went to Princeton and Harvard with scholarships and loan support. Barack and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for the greatness of this country. That doesn't mean that we don't have challenges. That doesn't mean that we can't work for change and that any talk of change is unpatriotic. You don't run for president of the United States and put yourself and your family through this if you don't feel some level of deep pride, and possibility for your country. I love my country. I wouldn't be in this if I didn't care deeply and didn't believe that every possibility that I had as a kid should be available to every single child.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Now for the actual words (and note the blipped out 'really' just for the record, if that really matters)"

Think about it...

without the "really" her statement means she was previously not proud.

With the "really" it means she was previously _either_ not proud or _less proud_.

Totally different result.

Phrased another way she is saying I am _more_ proud of my country now than I was before.

Why do you think these people who posted to utube took the time and extra effort to blank out the "really"?

This whole thing was an effort by some folks to try and damage her reputation.

I don't know the woman but I have been listening to some of her stuff. My guess is that the truth of what she meant is that there are many things about our country and our history that she is proud of and some she is not, but with what has been happening over the last year with folks getting involved has made her "really" proud.

Yes, the "really" really matters.

I know just how she feels, for the first time in my life (especially after GWB shamefully having been elected twice) I am really proud of my country to.